Re: [Videolib] Edited Movies

George Abbott (Glabbott@syr.edu)
Wed, 18 May 2005 19:02:15 -0400

Jessica. Was there another new bill last week? The Family Movie act
of 2005 which was rushed through and passed April 27 does not make it
legal for libraries to own edited (censored) versions of videos. In
fact it does not allow edited versions to be created at all. The text
is below but essential what it says is that a private household can use
a computer program to "make imperceptible" certain content during a
specific viewing for that private household but can not alter the
original video.

This title may be cited as the ``Family Movie Act of 2005''.
SEC. 202. EXEMPTION FROM INFRINGEMENT FOR SKIPPING AUDIO AND VIDEO
CONTENT IN MOTION PICTURES.

``(11) the making imperceptible, by or at the direction of a

member of a private household, of limited portions of audio or

video content of a motion picture, during a performance in or
transmitted to that household for private home viewing, from an

authorized copy of the motion picture, or the creation or
provision of a computer program or other technology that
enables
such making imperceptible and that is designed and marketed to

be used, at the direction of a member of a private household,
for such making imperceptible, if no fixed copy of the altered

version of the motion picture is created by such computer
program or other technology.''; and

George.

George Abbott
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244
V: 315.443.2438
F: 315.443.9510
E: glabbott@syr.edu

>>> jrosner@kino.com 5/18/2005 5:19:04 PM >>>
I think they are a wretched thing for a library to buy but they are
NOW
totally legal. There were some legal moves by the directors guild to
challenge this but Congress in its wisdom RUSHED through a bill last
week
Making this 10% legal provided it is a done with a legally purchased
copy
Nice to know your legislators can pass laws quickly on such
significant
issues

jessica

> Recently, a patron requested that we purchase edited movies--films
that
> have been edited for language and content (usually without the
studio's
> authorization).
>
> We have serious concerns about the legality and quality of these
> editions, and we wondered if any libraries have experience with
them.

> Kathy Olsen, Collection Development Librarian
> Collection Management Unit, Libraries Division
> A Service of the Broward County Board of County Commissioners
> 954-497-3661 x226 (phone)
> 954-497-3657 (fax)
> kaolsen@browardlibrary.org
> Broward County Library
> Remote Operations Center
> 3718 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
> Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311

> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify
> the system manager.
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept
by

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International