Re: [Videolib] Edited Movies

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 18 May 2005 17:19:04 -0400

I think they are a wretched thing for a library to buy but they are NOW
totally legal. There were some legal moves by the directors guild to
challenge this but Congress in its wisdom RUSHED through a bill last week
Making this 10% legal provided it is a done with a legally purchased copy
Nice to know your legislators can pass laws quickly on such significant
issues

jessica

> Recently, a patron requested that we purchase edited movies--films that
> have been edited for language and content (usually without the studio's
> authorization).
>
> We have serious concerns about the legality and quality of these
> editions, and we wondered if any libraries have experience with them.
>
> Kathy Olsen, Collection Development Librarian
> Collection Management Unit, Libraries Division
> A Service of the Broward County Board of County Commissioners
> 954-497-3661 x226 (phone)
> 954-497-3657 (fax)
> kaolsen@browardlibrary.org
> Broward County Library