RE: [Videolib] Joint copyright question

Tue, 17 May 2005 11:47:12 -0700

Though this is probably not the case, remember that if the party
requesting the copy is a library that had previously owned a legal copy
that is now damaged, lost, stolen or degraded, and if an unused copy is
not available at a fair price, you can make a copy for them without
obtaining permission from anyone. (section 108).

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721
Voice: 520.307.2771
Fax: 520.621.9733
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Ben
Achtenberg
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:40 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Joint copyright question

If you obtained this program from a distributor, they can probably
negotiate permission (if available) on behalf of both copyright holders.
If
fact, if their distribution rights are exclusive, they may be the ONLY
party able to do so.

Ben

At 09:18 AM 5/17/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Videolibers,
>
>Someone has asked us to make a copy of a videotape in our collection.
the
>item in question has a joint copyright, by an individual and a
university
>(not SFSU, another school).
>
>Am I correct in assuming this third party has to get permission from
BOTH
>parties, the university and the person, before a copy can be made?
>
>My plan is, if permissions are forthcoming, to make a copy for us, a
copy
>for each copyright holder, and then let the third party negotiate with
>them for whatever they want.
>
>Thanks for any insights. I looked at the Copyright Office website but
>didn't get that much help.
>

>Brigid Duffy
>Audio Visual/ITV Center
>San Francisco State University
>San Francisco CA 94132-4200
>E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com