Re: [Videolib] Joint copyright question

Ben Achtenberg (ben@fanlight.com)
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:40:29 -0400

If you obtained this program from a distributor, they can probably
negotiate permission (if available) on behalf of both copyright holders. If
fact, if their distribution rights are exclusive, they may be the ONLY
party able to do so.

Ben

At 09:18 AM 5/17/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Videolibers,
>
>Someone has asked us to make a copy of a videotape in our collection. the
>item in question has a joint copyright, by an individual and a university
>(not SFSU, another school).
>
>Am I correct in assuming this third party has to get permission from BOTH
>parties, the university and the person, before a copy can be made?
>
>My plan is, if permissions are forthcoming, to make a copy for us, a copy
>for each copyright holder, and then let the third party negotiate with
>them for whatever they want.
>
>Thanks for any insights. I looked at the Copyright Office website but
>didn't get that much help.
>

>Brigid Duffy
>Audio Visual/ITV Center
>San Francisco State University
>San Francisco CA 94132-4200
>E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com