Re: [Videolib] Forcing PPR

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Tue, 17 May 2005 11:55:52 -0500

Jessica,

I respect your opinion, also, but I think you defending something by saying
"companies do it all the time." People download movies and music all day
long and use all sorts of arguments, including "free speech" to defend it.
There is nothing in contract law that allows any company to tell schools
that they have no rights by copyright law. They can charge anything they
want. But they can't tell schools that they need PPR to show the video in
face to face teaching. They can by mutual agreement, tell the purchaser that
if they purchase the video the institution can't use it in a classroom and
that institution can or cannot agree by signing the contract. But that is a
whole matter entirely. I'm talking about a company doing something totally
different.

Jerry