[Videolib] Forcing PPR

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 17 May 2005 10:49:42 -0400

Jerry
With all due respect you are confusing copyright law with contract law
The exclusive owner and distributor of a film can put in any requirements
they choose as a condition of agreeing to sell you the film. I know
Wiseman's company does not allow any of their films to circulate in any way
and can only be used on premise. ABC appears to be requiring institutions to
repurchase or license a film after a certain period.
It should be noted that this works both ways. A company can agree either for
a fee or free or charge to let a film be shown publicaly, copied, broadcast
on campus cable system etc. Rights holders can BY CONTRACT restrict or widen
the rights on a film they own. However this must be done up front and at the
time of sale.
In many ways the PPR issue is a red herring. Companies that charge a lot of
money for very small films with a limited market basically include PPR as a
way of justifying the cost despite the fact that most institutions won't
need the rights Where everyone gets understandably upset is when these
companies claim that institutions MUST have PPR which as we all know is
untrue.

Bottom line if there is ANY way you can avoid buying unnecessary PPR rights
( by purchasing through a wholesaler or as individual) you should do do but
A rights holder can still "force" you to buy them if they don't sell to
individuals or through any other source.

jessica