Re: [Videolib] separating VHS and DVD formats

Jen Stutesman (jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu)
Mon, 02 May 2005 09:41:05 -0700

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:19:10 -0400
tanyatdeangelis@aol.com wrote:
> Does integrating VHS and DVD formats work well for
>anyone or is it best to keep them separated?

We shelve our DVDs and VHSs together.

> Also, as for a classification system, most libraries
>seem to use a simple numeric system such as DVD 12, DVD
>13, VHS 25, VHS 26 etc., while I have seem some that
>assign LC numbers, thus integrating formats. Which system
>do you think is preferred?

We have a sequentially numbered system (VR 898, 890, 891,
etc.) for the closed stacks, and an LC number for the
open/circ stacks. Seems to work pretty well. The students
and staff always know where to shelve items, as well as
what to not let students out of the library with. (Cost of
the item usually determines this.)
-jen

"A new library makes you feel like a million bucks."
-MICHAEL WINERIP, New York Times, Feb. 23, 2005
Jen Stutesman
Instructional, Media and Technical Services Librarian
Walla Walla Community College
Walla Walla, WA