RE: [Videolib] Audiobook CDs

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:15:29 -0500

I can't really speak to the audiobook specifics, but my feeling is asd
far as access information is concerned - put as much information on the
item and the cataloging that you can, especially since it is a newer
format for the collection. I asked last year among my staff to see if
people were asking for MP3 items, and received a resounding silence in
reply. Also, we are undergoing a lot of changes right now, so our new
department head said not to worry about this right now (Whew!) I'm not
really very sure about the saturation of the market for MP3 players.
However, I did feel that we wouldn't see a huge demand for audiobooks on
cd until cd players were standard in Chevy cars. And, that's about what
has happened. So when MP3 players are standard in Chevys, we will
probably see more demand. If we ever start with this here, I can see
our call numbers starting off with MP3 FIC GRIS, PH for Grisham's
Painted House on an MP3. Similar call patterns would be used for music.
Hope this helps.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library