Re: [Videolib] TEACH act for streaming

Mark Richie (n2books@frontiernet.net)
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:35:14 -0500

--------------030108080100050204000209

Kudos Deg -
Dealing with the definition of "distance" within TEACH is minimal
compared to other limitations - to whit: TEACH only allows streaming (or
downloading) of portions of a video and only portions of videos that are
not copy protected on the open market. (eg: if the video in question is
available on the physical market only in a copy protected form, the
permissive provisions of the act do not apply.)
The act also prohibits the collection of clips in an
archive for repeated downloading (as in: an on-line digital video
library). To create a cataloged and accessible digital video library
TEACH leave no alternative but to get digital distribution rights from
producers - easy enough for curriculum driven productions - near
impossible for entertainment, classic films et al.

M. L. Richie

"One must be so careful about what one says in a free
country," Dick Cavett