Re: [Videolib] Kurasawa's Sugata Sanshiro

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:50:53 +0200

Dear Katherine,

the original 97 min. version (if it should ever have existed) doesn't
seem to be available. We own the French and the Hong Kong version (both
on DVD) with 78 and 80 min.

US-Video: 79 min. (NTSC)
http://www.homevision.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1374&id=SAN040

French DVD: 80 min. (PAL)
http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID=1238629

HK-DVD: 78 min. (NTSC)
http://www.eastwestdvds.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105

Japanese DVD: 79 min. (NTSC, no subtitles)
http://202.234.167.56/detailview.html?KEY=TDV-2671D

The film you mentioned is a different movie with the same title, made by
Seiichiro Uchikawa according to the script of Kurosawa:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0059677/
- this title in WorldCat: "Description: 2 vidéocassettes (VHS) (1h37 +
57 mn) :; son., Noir et blanc (SECAM)" - BTW: The original Kurosawa
movie is also followed by a second part made in 1945:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0038268/

with kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin