RE: [Videolib] formats: DVD vs VHS vs ??

Badilla-Melendez, Cindy (CBADILLAME@stthomas.edu)
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:20:34 -0500

We try not to buy VHS for the same reason they are obsolete, only if not
available on DVD. I have noticed that many publishers and vendors are
working their way to transfers to DVD. Sometimes they tell me we don't have
it on DVD and them I wait for a month I they make it on DVD.
The restoration on DVD they have done for some of the old films is excellent
DVDs are made very poorly so they scratch very easily. Although you can buy
machines to clean them and sometimes they do good on scratches.
Cindy

Cindy Badilla-Melendez
Media Resources Librarian
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
University of St. Thomas
phone (651) 962-5464
fax (651) 962-5406

-----Original Message-----
From: Griest, Bryan [mailto:BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:26 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] formats: DVD vs VHS vs ??

Regardless of policy or longevity, VHS tapes as a technology for
distribution are on their way out, as far as commercial feature film
production goes. For non-features/educational pieces, the process of
changing over completely will be a bit slower, I think.
We do not buy VHS for any purpose as a matter of policy, and we will
probably shortly discontinue adding donated VHS tapes to the collection as
well.
Bryan Griest
A/V Librarian
Glendale Public Library