RE: [Videolib] formats: DVD vs VHS vs ??

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:26:28 -0700

Regardless of policy or longevity, VHS tapes as a technology for
distribution are on their way out, as far as commercial feature film
production goes. For non-features/educational pieces, the process of
changing over completely will be a bit slower, I think.
We do not buy VHS for any purpose as a matter of policy, and we will
probably shortly discontinue adding donated VHS tapes to the collection as
well.
Bryan Griest
A/V Librarian
Glendale Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Deborah Benrubi
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:32 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] formats: DVD vs VHS vs ??

Does it make sense to buy VHS tapes if the content is offered in digital
format? I've worked myself into a possibly pointless quandary over this,
given that many people don't even use VCRs any more. But we're finding
circulating DVDs to be so fragile, whereas most of our older VHS tapes have
lasted many years, Does anyone have a policy of continuing to collect in
VHS?

Deborah Benrubi
Technical Services Librarian
University of San Francisco
Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233 or 422-5062
EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>