RE: [Videolib] Antares / Film Movement

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:17:22 -0500

I also received the letter from Recorded Books, and I started drafting a
virtually identical message to you folks on Saturday but didn't get it
sent...

I am bothered by Recorded Books' choice to censor a selection made by
Film Movement. I took a look at the info on Antares on the Film
Movement website. They're up front about the sexual content, but it
also state that the film was Austria's entry for foreign films at this
year's Oscars. I don't mind if they include a note that mentions that
viewers should be aware of adult content, which they with an earlier
selection. (Although I can't imagine hosting a public screening without
previewing the film, I suppose there are places that might do so...)

I am writing a letter to both parties, asking that the DVD be shipped
and that Recorded Books refrain from future censorship.

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Holly
Sammons
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 11:13 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Antares

Has anyone who subscribes to the Film Movement series gotten a call from

Recorded Books about this film? Or a letter suggesting it is "not
suitable for public viewing, as it contains a scene of graphic sexual
content that is beyond anything that belongs in a mainstream film." The

letter claims that once they found out about the film they stopped
shipping it!

This has been a nice series of films and I'm concerned about Recorded
Books' need to censor and filter on my behalf. I can see there might be

concern about public viewings, but wouldn't a library look at the film
before showing it in public? And can't I as a professional make that
decision for the library I work for?

Any thoughts?

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian