RE: [Videolib] Antares

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:52:40 -0500

We received a call about it in the beginning of April. They told us to
destroy it if it came, and they would give us a credit on our account.
My feeling, which I passed on to my department head, was if RB wants to
give us a credit, fine, but we should have no qualms about adding it to
the collection. If we get complaints about content, it wouldn't be the
first time.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
Phone: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
bltata@aurora.lib.il.us
www.aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Holly
Sammons
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 11:13 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Antares

Has anyone who subscribes to the Film Movement series gotten a call from

Recorded Books about this film? Or a letter suggesting it is "not
suitable for public viewing, as it contains a scene of graphic sexual
content that is beyond anything that belongs in a mainstream film." The

letter claims that once they found out about the film they stopped
shipping it!

This has been a nice series of films and I'm concerned about Recorded
Books' need to censor and filter on my behalf. I can see there might be

concern about public viewings, but wouldn't a library look at the film
before showing it in public? And can't I as a professional make that
decision for the library I work for?

Any thoughts?

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian