RE: [Videolib] circulating video to students

Hooft, Robert (RHOOFT@jibc.bc.ca)
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:17:06 -0700

I have the solution for you.......

We ask our Instructors to tell us which videos they use for classes and we designate them for In-House use only (or Campus use only) and do not lend these to the students (students may view these in the Library if they are not in use). We color code these videos with a RED dot (on the video spine label) so all staff are aware that these are not to be loaned out unless it is to an Instructor for class. This process certainly limits on late returns by students! Now if an Instructor wants a video that is NOT designated In-House use only for class, and did not have enough forethought to reserve the video in advance, and it happens to be out to a student........the Instructor is, pardon me....sol. These un-designated videos are loaned on a first come, first serve basis. We not only lend our videos to students, we also MAIL them!
In the 15 years I have worked with video, we have only once lost a video in the mail (got run over by the Postal truck). We mail out at least 30 videos per week.

Robert Hooft
Justice Institute of B.C. Library
715 McBride Blvd
New Westminster, B.C.
V3L 5T4
Ph: 604-528-5598
Fx: 604-528-5593

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Maureen Tripp
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 7:51 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] circulating video to students

We are a smallish college, with heavy emphasis on the communication arts and sciences, and a pretty good video collection. It has always circulated only to faculty, for use in classes or for preview, and students have always had to view inhouse. We have very limited viewing facilities, and will be losing one of our classrooms, one of only 3 group viewing spaces, after this term. I would like to start circulating video to students, but there's quite a bit of resistance from administration and faculty--they are worried that tapes won't be available to them when they need them. I feel that instituting a fine system for lates would ensure tapes are back on time.

Do other academic media centers circulate to students? I'd love to hear from those who do, about the pros and cons of doing so. Any tips on managing circulation, limiting late returns, etc. would be great!
Thanks so much! If there's interest (besides me) I'd be happy to summarize for the list,
Maureen