RE: [Videolib] lending video and film

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:46:53 -0400

The only "error" I see in your thinking, is that the institution
actually doesn't have to maintain servers/bandwidth/infrastructure if
they host it with someone who already does this type of service... i.e.
http://www.speedera.com
All you need to provide is the "front end" database to search the
titles, and the files are delivered transparently...

Just something for you to think about..

Mark

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 10:18 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] lending video and film

hi

1) unless you spend big chunks of cash for mpg video servers and
broadband
infrastructure, streaming is still largely a joke in terms of image
resolution and ease of classroom access
2) Digitization and online synchronous delivery anywhere (including
classrooms) requires securing copyright permission/licenses
a) This is most certainly not possible for most feature films
and
special interest home video
b) For independently produced/distributed non-fiction works:
1) What you gonna decide to digitize and license? I
can
think of maybe a dozen titles in my collection of nearly
40K titles that I would consider digitizing based on
the
consistency of use over time
2) Who's gonna do the work? The rights holder most
certainly isn't going to do the digitization for you, which
means someone on YOUR staff is going to have to crank
the
analog over into digital; manage your server;
develop the videographic access to this piece;
manage
the license.

Seems to me that despite high loss rates, it's still more cost- and
use-effective to rock along with disc and tape (at lease at this point
in time)

Gary

At 10:08 AM 4/8/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I wonder if any of you are considering digitizing videos for streaming
>media access both on campus and remotely. We are doing a small project
>with a couple of faculty members for classroom access only. I am
stunned
>at the cost of licensing, but the number of damaged, lost and out of
print
>titles led us to consider this as a solution to avoid duplication of
>titles for both campuses and replacement difficulties and costs
involved.

>Michael Brewer is correct - more and more film is being used in the
>classroom. We have more requests than we have money for and to lose the

>titles once they have been acquired is distressing for faculty not to
>mention staff who have to deal with the complaints and trying to
replace
>the titles. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences?
>
>We do not ILL media, by the way. As far as I know, the rest of
>community
>colleges in Florida, 28 in all, do not loan media. I believe that the
>Florida state universities loan to faculty on other campuses, but I do
not
>know their policies.
>
>Sarah Johnson
>Polk Community College
>Winter Haven, FL

Michael
> [...]
>borrowing of media from other institutions. I think most places that
>don't allow borrowing do so because they don't trust that the media
will
>return undamaged.
>
>Film is being used more and more in courses and in scholarship across
>disciplines. Films also often go out of print very quickly and are
>damaged/lost/stolen at an exponentially higher rate than other media
(at
>least in our library). In this new access over ownership environment,
>film scholars (and those that use film) end up getting the short end of

>the stick: because we (I am speaking of our institution and others like

>it) focus on access and put less money into purchasing materials as we
did
>in the past, if we were not lucky enough to purchase all the films that

>our faculty would need in the future at the time of their release (and
>that is never possible with the funds we are given) and even if none of

>those films were stolen, lost or damaged, our faculty do not have the
same
>access to items (films) we don't own through ILL as our print oriented
>faculty have.
>
>It seems that, were clear stipulations on use (or levels of use)
>defined
>for media loaned through ILL (perhaps some would loan only if the film
>were to be used in a class or would remain in the library, or even,
>forgive me public libraries, would only be loaned to academic
libraries,
>etc.). Perhaps such gradations of use already exist. I don't
>know. Because ILL is a separate unit in our library, I have very
little
>to do with what goes on there. I have, however, spoken with them about
the
>issue of getting copies of videos that we owned but were lost, stolen
or
>damaged and are not available for sale from other libraries (so we
could
>make a legal copy) and was told that ILL departments often can make
>special loan agreements on a case by case basis for things like this
>borrow an out of print video from a library that usually doesn't loan
>videos in order to make a legal copy in house).
>
>Does VRT make recommendations to national ILL groups? How much control

>do
>other media librarians have over whether or not their collections are
>loaned out through ILL? If you have had control over this and have not

>allowed your collection to be loaned out, why not? What are the
>issues/impediments? Are there horror stories of what has happened when

>titles were loaned out, even with strict limitations on their use?
>
>Thanks,
>
>mb
>
>Michael Brewer
>Slavic Studies, German Studies & Media Arts Librarian University of

Barbara J
>Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:11 PM
>To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>Subject: RE: [Videolib] lending video and film
>

>Most of you have heard my pro-ILL soapbox speech before but...
>
>We starting lending 3 years ago. It's been a very positive experience.
>As we all know, video collections are expensive. No library can
>possibly own every video any more than it can have afford every book.
>
>We lend videos with minimal restrictions. (The one unbreakable
>restriction
>is that it doesn't go out if there's an upcoming booking.)
>We follow a reciprocal borrowing/lending policy in that we only borrow
>material types that they will lend and vice versa. This is fairly
common
>for ILL (especially when it comes to charging a fee for lending). In
>translation: We only lend videos to requesting libraries who allow us
>access to their videos in exchange.
>The first year, we compiled a list of all titles loaned and borrowed --
it
>was a fascinating mix of educational titles and feature films. We've
>consistently borrowed twice as many videos as we'vee lent each
semester.
>---------
>Re: older formats. We will lend 16mm films on a case-by-case basis.
Most
>of the time when ILL staff replies with "Did you know this is a 16mm
>film?" the response is "never mind I thought it was a videotape..."
>
>-------------
>For policy, the VRT and ACRL have published guidelines that suggest
>video
>ILL practices:
>
>Guidelines for Media Resources in Academic Libraries (1999)
>http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlstandards/guidelinesmedia.htm
>
>5.1 Media resources should be accessible through resource sharing, in
>accordance with the ALA Video Round Table Guidelines for the
Interlibrary
>Loan of Audiovisual Formats.
>Commentary: Many libraries treat media collections as special
collections
>and prohibit their interlibrary loan. However, library users benefit
when
>media collections are included in resource-sharing programs. No library

>can meet all of its users' needs for media resources, but libraries are

>reluctant to lend to our users if we do not lend to their users. The
>guidelines recognize that some materials may be excluded, but in
general,
>there is no reason to exclude entire formats from interlibrary lending.
>
>VRT Guidelines for the Interlibrary Loan of Audiovisual Formats
>(1997)http://www.ala.org/ala/vrt/pubguidelines/guidelinesinterlibrary.h
tm

UC Berkeley

****