RE: [Videolib] lending video and film

Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:04:23 -0700

Jessica,

I erred when I said TEACH covered the classroom. It covers anything that would normally happen in a classroom. As such, one could stream a film for a distance education class, or as part of an out of classroom assignment (within the restrictions imposed by TEACH - streaming/no saved cache, available only to students within the time the course is in session, part of an accredited non-profit educational institution, streamed from a legal copy, no streaming of works that are instructional/pedagogical in nature). Though TEACH does not say you can't use a whole film (if it is required for the educational/pedagogical goals of the course), I think the idea is that you would use what you would normally use in a class period (which would probably more likely be clips).

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721
Voice: 520.307.2771
Fax: 520.621.9733
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 9:48 AM
To: videolib
Subject: Re: [Videolib] lending video and film

Well I hate to start a whole new argument but I would not try that on any
studio owned film. I don't see where teach act gives you license to digitize
and use either on demand or especially off site anything you have in the
collection ( legal copies of course) This is an area where I am sure studios
would litigate as it goes to the heart of their ownership. For example if
you had course streaming CITIZEN KANE off site,or into classrooms etc AND
WB heard about it they would come down like a ton of bricks not taking
kindly to the idea that the purchase of a $15.95 video or DVD gave you the
right to both alter it AND send it out.

As usual I think we will have to wait for some incident to actually be
litigated but I would not risk the exposure on something like that.

Jessica

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International