RE: [Videolib] lending video and film&quality vs. quantity

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:48:13 -0500

Perhaps the difference in our experience is because Michael is at an
academic library, but as a frequent public library user, I routinely request
ILL for videos which are available for purchase. Not so long ago I requested
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which is nominally available, but not widely held (or
in stores), at least in southern Wisconsin. My public library requested it
and got it without hesitation. The very short check-out time (3 days) was a
hassle, but it's not like this is a video that needs to be viewed over and
over to appreciate it.

On a somewhat related topic, Jessica's question about libraries eschewing
popular feature films while they continue to order works of potboiler
fiction by the likes of John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark is a good one. A
few years ago when I was more active in VRT than I am now, there was a good
deal of consternation when ALA signed on to Turn Off Your TV Week. One of
the points raised then was why not also sponsor a Put Down Your Trashy Novel
Week if abstaining from TV is such a great idea. Public libraries, at least,
should IMNSHO acquire popular materials in all media. If John Grisham (and
extra copies thereof to keep hold lists down) is a good idea, then so is the
Friends boxed set. Not all of your patrons are likely to have cable or
satellite television access, especially in smaller towns and rural
areas--but in cities, too--and not everyone who's interested is able to be
in front of the tube at the moment the local station decides to rerun a
favorite show.

If we really want video to be on an equal footing with print materials in
libraries, perhaps we should consider giving patrons what they want as well
as providing opportunities for elevating their taste and experience.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.