RE: [Videolib] lending video and film

Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:11:20 -0700

The only time I would ever use ILL for media would be if the title were not available for purchase. Otherwise it would be more cost effective to just buy it (in almost all cases, considering how much most all our media that we have circulates). It would seem odd to me for institutions to request media material through ILL that they could purchase. Because print circulates less in general (and there is so much more of it out there), I can understand why this would not be the case for print.

Do others out there routinely request material (media) that is available for sale? Or is using ILL for media generally only for OP items?

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721
Voice: 520.307.2771
Fax: 520.621.9733
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Laroi Lawton
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 1:35 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] lending video and film

Michael:
The problem (while not for some institutions) is copyright, usage, and demand, just to name a few. I would very much like to lend outside of the City University of New York but I have to weigh this factor on the title(s) being requested as my particular media center is a high use unit not only on my campus but throughout the "University" which comprises of 19 campuses scattered in each of the five boroughs of New York City. What most of us also have to consider is the time it will take the item to get back to us as well as the institution making the request. Do I differentiate between "public, special, academic"? The question about damaged, stolen and or lost, from my perspective will always be a part of any media center's problem. No media library will ever be immune to this so placing the blame or hesitancy to loan to public libraries will not solve this matter. Quite frankly, several years ago I loaned one of my titles to one such library out in the mid-west somewhere.!
The item was returned with no incident. Of course there were some of my colleagues within my "university" who frowned upon this but in the interest of promoting media librarianship, and a national but communal relationship, I acquiesced. This subject, has to a degree, been the bane of all of us but then again how do you deter lost items, theft, copying, etc.? Some institutions have been fortunate enough to have a good collection development in place that allows for a more conducive ILL policy. In other situations, it is case by case. A recent request from PSU had to be turned down because the title when I checked it, was one that is used extensively in several history classes throughout this semester. Speed and timeliness is another issue. How fast the item is sent, and how fast the item can be returned is another aspect to this scenario. If there was in place, a method of getting items to and from one campus ILL unit, be it UCLA or BU, (outside of FedEx, Express Mail or an!
y other way without impacting on budgets) this discussion would probab
ly be moot. Do college ILL units purposely allow losses to happen? I think not. The rules of engagement are simple: you lose it; you pay for it. How fast can you get the item to us is another aspect if this should happen. Are there budget packets for such an incident. And if not-here is where the stink hits the fan so to speak. This should prove to be a lively discussion as I think most of us have had to deal with this in one form or another. Personally, in my eleven years as a media librarian my losses have not come from ILL but from faculty here on my campus. We are a non-circulating unit of the library but we are open seven days a week.

LaRoi Lawton
Assistant Professor/Director
The Gerald S. Lieblich Learning Resources Center
Library & Learning Resources Department
Bronx Community College
University Ave. & W 181 Street
Bronx, NY 10453