RE: [Videolib] Wired for Retirement

Blaine Waterman (bwaterman@sfpl.org)
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:49:46 -0700

Gary,
I share your concerns for the profession generally, at least public
libraries. A large chunk of current librarians started in the 70s and
will soon retire. With relentless state and local budget cutting and a
common (mis)perception that the Internet IS a library, I would not be
surprised if many retirees go unreplaced.

Blaine Waterman
AV Center Librarian
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415)557-4461
bwaterman@sfpl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:14 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Wired for Retirement

So, if we're all jumping ship in scant few years, who's gonna mind the
media store?

This could, indeed, be an interesting thread of discussion. Seriously.
It
seems to me that, despite the enormous impact media has had on global
culture at large, despite the fact that media collections in libraries
are
growing exponentially, the ranks of librarians trained for and assigned
selecting and managing media collections have, if anything, diminished
in
the last 30 years. (I go on about this at great lengths in the
introduction to Video Collection Development (Greenwood, 2002), so I
won't
belabor it here)/

The point is: many of us who came of professional age at the dawn of
the
video revolution in the late 1970s are now of an age where we're
pondering
the big R. I fret periodically about training for future media
librarians;
I fret even more about the tendency of libraries to feel that format
specialization among professionals is either not needed or not
affordable.

******

OK, on another tact. In skimming over the latest issue of American
Libraries yesterday, I noticed at least THREE articles having to do with

intellectual freedom challenges to videos or to broadcast programming.
would really like to see the Video Round Table consider getting more
involved with the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom as an advocacy
body. Seems to me that VRT could be doing a lot more to assert national

leadership in media matters. The Notables are one wonderful way that
we've
moved in this direction. I think VRT could be doing more.

Gary Handman

At 08:23 AM 4/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>We have phased retirement by contract here at USF which I plan to do.
Anyone
>else have phased retirement at their institutions?
>
>Jerry

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan