Re: [Videolib] Wired for Retirement

Thomas Ipri (ipri@lasalle.edu)
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:19:36 -0400

--=_alternative 0059875585256FDB_=

Which, in a way, ties into the earlier thread of interfiling. With fewer
people specializing in media, there will be a greater temptation (based on
ignorance?) to not have anyone minding the store and just have some sort
of open access to visual materials.

That said, some of us are not jumping ship anytime soon (10,000+ days
until retirement); however, I more or less fell into the media role and
have no special education/training (I just like movies), so I guess I'll
fall for your shameless plug and read that Intro to Video Collection
Development.

Tom

______________________
Thomas A. Ipri, MS
Media Services Librarian
Connelly Library
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141
215-951-1965
ipri@lasalle.edu
http://www.lasalle.edu/library

Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
04/06/2005 11:14 AM
Please respond to
videolib@library.berkeley.edu

videolib@library.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] Wired for Retirement

So, if we're all jumping ship in scant few years, who's gonna mind the
media store?

This could, indeed, be an interesting thread of discussion. Seriously. It

seems to me that, despite the enormous impact media has had on global
culture at large, despite the fact that media collections in libraries are

growing exponentially, the ranks of librarians trained for and assigned to

selecting and managing media collections have, if anything, diminished in
the last 30 years. (I go on about this at great lengths in the
introduction to Video Collection Development (Greenwood, 2002), so I won't

belabor it here)/

The point is: many of us who came of professional age at the dawn of the
video revolution in the late 1970s are now of an age where we're pondering

the big R. I fret periodically about training for future media
librarians;
I fret even more about the tendency of libraries to feel that format
specialization among professionals is either not needed or not affordable.

******

OK, on another tact. In skimming over the latest issue of American
Libraries yesterday, I noticed at least THREE articles having to do with
intellectual freedom challenges to videos or to broadcast programming. I
would really like to see the Video Round Table consider getting more
involved with the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom as an advocacy
body. Seems to me that VRT could be doing a lot more to assert national
leadership in media matters. The Notables are one wonderful way that
we've
moved in this direction. I think VRT could be doing more.

Gary Handman

At 08:23 AM 4/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>We have phased retirement by contract here at USF which I plan to do.
Anyone
>else have phased retirement at their institutions?
>
>Jerry

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan

--=_alternative 0059875585256FDB_=

thread of interfiling. &nbsp;With fewer people specializing in media, there
will be a greater temptation (based on ignorance?) to not have anyone minding
the store and just have some sort of open access to visual materials.</font>
ship anytime soon (10,000+ days until retirement); however, I more or less
fell into the media role and have no special education/training (I just
like movies), so I guess I'll fall for your shameless plug and read that
Intro to Video Collection Development.</font>
Thomas A. Ipri, MS<br>
Media Services Librarian<br>
Connelly Library<br>
1900 West Olney Avenue<br>
Philadelphia, PA 19141<br>
215-951-1965<br>
ipri@lasalle.edu<br>
http://www.lasalle.edu/library<br>
who's gonna mind the <br>
media store?<br>
This could, indeed, be an interesting thread of discussion. &nbsp;Seriously.
&nbsp;It <br>
seems to me that, despite the enormous impact media has had on global <br>
culture at large, despite the fact that media collections in libraries
are <br>
growing exponentially, the ranks of librarians trained for and assigned
to <br>
selecting and managing media collections have, if anything, diminished
in <br>
the last 30 years. &nbsp;(I go on about this at great lengths in the <br>
introduction to Video Collection Development (Greenwood, 2002), so I won't
belabor it here)/<br>
The point is: &nbsp;many of us who came of professional age at the dawn
of the <br>
video revolution in the late 1970s are now of an age where we're pondering
the big R. &nbsp;I fret periodically about training for future media librarians;
I fret even more about the tendency of libraries to feel that format <br>
specialization among professionals is either not needed or not affordable.<br>
******<br>
OK, on another tact. &nbsp;In skimming over the latest issue of American
Libraries yesterday, I noticed at least THREE articles having to do with
intellectual freedom challenges to videos or to broadcast programming.
&nbsp;I <br>
would really like to see the Video Round Table consider getting more <br>
involved with the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom as an advocacy <br>
body. &nbsp;Seems to me that VRT could be doing a lot more to assert national
leadership in media matters. &nbsp;The Notables are one wonderful way that
we've <br>
moved in this direction. &nbsp;I think VRT could be doing more.<br>
Gary Handman<br>
At 08:23 AM 4/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:<br>
&gt;We have phased retirement by contract here at USF which I plan to do.
Anyone<br>
&gt;else have phased retirement at their institutions?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Jerry<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;_______________________________________________<br>
&gt;Videolib mailing list<br>
&gt;Videolib@library.berkeley.edu<br>
Gary Handman<br>
Director<br>
Media Resources Center<br>
Moffitt Library<br>
UC Berkeley<br>
ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<br>
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC<br>
****<br>
&quot;Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us.&quot;<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;--Ted Berrigan