Re: [Videolib] Wired for Retirement

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:14:15 -0700

So, if we're all jumping ship in scant few years, who's gonna mind the
media store?

This could, indeed, be an interesting thread of discussion. Seriously. It
seems to me that, despite the enormous impact media has had on global
culture at large, despite the fact that media collections in libraries are
growing exponentially, the ranks of librarians trained for and assigned to
selecting and managing media collections have, if anything, diminished in
the last 30 years. (I go on about this at great lengths in the
introduction to Video Collection Development (Greenwood, 2002), so I won't
belabor it here)/

The point is: many of us who came of professional age at the dawn of the
video revolution in the late 1970s are now of an age where we're pondering
the big R. I fret periodically about training for future media librarians;
I fret even more about the tendency of libraries to feel that format
specialization among professionals is either not needed or not affordable.

******

OK, on another tact. In skimming over the latest issue of American
Libraries yesterday, I noticed at least THREE articles having to do with
intellectual freedom challenges to videos or to broadcast programming. I
would really like to see the Video Round Table consider getting more
involved with the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom as an advocacy
body. Seems to me that VRT could be doing a lot more to assert national
leadership in media matters. The Notables are one wonderful way that we've
moved in this direction. I think VRT could be doing more.

Gary Handman

At 08:23 AM 4/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>We have phased retirement by contract here at USF which I plan to do. Anyone
>else have phased retirement at their institutions?
>
>Jerry

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan