Re: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:01:17 -0500

We have been quality checking every item we purchase for 30 years. Nowdays
we (1 staff person and a few students) spot check them, beginning to end.
We even check the ones for which there is no possibility of a replacement
(donations, "the only one we could find," going out of stock, etc.) so we
can add a statement to the bib record indicating poor video/audio quality
when needed. If we keep a title that a faculty member previewed for content,
we rely on the faculty member to notify us of defects. Over the years we
have caught many a defective item (improperly labeled, poor technical
quality, blank item) before it reaches the classroom. We purchase 350+
titles per year. Our department budget has not been adjusted for inflation
since the mid 1980s and has recently been mined for state budget shortfalls,
so we want to be sure we get our money's worth on each and every item. Our
patrons are also quick to let us know when we have overlooked something
(running time listed is longer/shorter than the item plays, version is
different than stated, etc.), and we've found that the more reliable our
information is at the beginning, the more respect we receive from faculty in
all areas of our service. As for comparing this process to reading every
book that the library purchases before processing, I hope that someone
handling the print materials opens them to determine whether there are blank
or ink blotted pages, or whether the cover that lists "The Pillars of the
Earth" contains Ken Follett's novel or an architectural history of columns.
The purpose is the same, it's just the media and the processes that are
different.
Good luck in maintaining your quality control.
Gail

Gail B. Fedak
Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University