Re: [Videolib] Interfiling in public academic library

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:50:30 -0700

--=====================_14172453==.ALT

I told her about this interfiling thread in
the listserve, and she was horrified that some people at other
universities were left to shift for themselves when they weren't sure
what they wanted.

That's why god invented media librarians, Lee Ann. Library patrons left to
fend for themselves have it no easier in trying to locate print, or
manuscripts, or what have you in large collections. Undergraduates never
know what the hell they want (the same goes for faculty in some instances
and, particularly, for some forms of media). Catalogs are only inventories
of holdings. Without a service component in place that helps patrons
clarify needs and locate resources to meet those needs, we'd be dropping
the ball badly.

Gary Handman

At 02:08 PM 4/4/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I told her about this interfiling thread in
>the listserve, and she was horrified that some people at other
>universities were left to shift for themselves when they weren't sure
>what they wanted.

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan