Re: [Videolib] Interfiling in public academic library

LeeAnne Krause (LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu)
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:08:33 -0400

I think interfiling might be appropriate in a small collection, like a
community library or a small branch of a university, but in a larger
library, you need the specialized service to match the larger collection
and clientele. For example, just 15 minutes ago, a prof came in and
said, "I know this is crazy, but I don't know what I want. I"m asking
my students to do a presentation/report about a culture of their choice,
so I want a video where someone does a voiceover description of another
culture. Maybe something anthropological, but not real long. Can you
help me?" After about 2 minutes further discussion, I recommended
"Bathing Babies in Three Cultures" and "Religions of Small Societies"
from Schlessinger's Religions of the World series, which she said would
work great for her purpose. I told her about this interfiling thread in
the listserve, and she was horrified that some people at other
universities were left to shift for themselves when they weren't sure
what they wanted.

Does your library have specialized service personnel for maps,
government documents, music, business, law, and science? If so, then
why not have a service point for films? I agree with Peter Delin, in
that *some* people tend to think of film as "fluff" material, used
mainly by lazy professors who don't want to have a "real" class on a
particular day. If you respect film as an important instructional
resource, then it seems to me you'd want the expert staff to maintain
and circulate it.

LeeAnne

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Films Collection
University of South Carolina
803-777-0322

See our new searchable database at www.sc.edu/library/edfilmdb/

>>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu 4/4/2005 11:27:57 AM >>>
Amen and Hallelujah, brother!

Gary

At 10:57 PM 4/1/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>INDEED!!!! Why * should * media be treated any differently that any
other
>medium!
>
>Just look at how well print materials are interfiled in libraries:
>
>1) Completely separate rooms/wings for children's materials
>2) Fiction and non-fiction filed separately
>3) Oversize/folio books in their own shelving area
>4) Reference books shelved in a separate area
>5) Journals/magazines shelved in a separate area
>6) Government documents shelved separately
>
>There are probably many other similar collections so treated. There
are
>reasons why each and every one of these materials are shelved in their
own
>areas.
>
>Special use, special interest, different classification/organization
>systems, ease of access all affect how items are grouped together.
>
>There is also an economy of space in shelving together items that have
the
>same general dimensions as videos, DVD, cassettes, LPs do.
>
>IMHO, the key to finding materials with related content, regardless of
media
>and/or format, is the catalog.
>

>--
>deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
>Arizona State University at the West Campus
>PO Box 37100
>Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
>Phone: 602.543.8522
>Email: deg.farrelly@asu.edu
>

> > From: "VENTURA, GERIE" <GVENTURA@highline.edu>
> > Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:39:45 -0800
> > To: "videolib@library.berkeley.edu"
<videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: [Videolib] Interfiling in public academic library
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have saved email from 3 years ago, discussing Open Shelving of
Media
> > Items, but I'd love to get some new info/anecdotes from anyone out
there
> > who has done it.
> >
> > The topic is up again and now I think they're really going to move
on it
> > in the next year or two. Suggestions, anyone?
> >
> > We have a slew of feature film DVD's and the going conversation
lately
> > is, "why should media items be treated any differently than any
other
> > medium?".
> >
> > They're talking about Interfiling (media in with the books). We
> > presently have the Media collection in closed stacks, with a
separate
> > Circulation desk.
> >
> > I look forward to hearing from you, if you have time.
> >
> > Thank you ahead of time,
> >
> > Gerie Ventura
> > gventura@highline.edu
> > Highline Community College