Re: [Videolib] Previewing videos

(no name) ((no email))
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:34:18 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

With respect Lori, I look at everything (which admittedly isn't that much, maybe 150--200 titles a year) because of all the reasons already given--AND I have found that even good vendors can turn out the occasional defective tape. In the last year I have returned at least 5 programs to mainstream vendors for quality issues, including bad color on an animated piece, a program that just disappeared in the middle of the story (bad copy), bad or garbled sound, and in one case a program that was completely mislabeled--not the program we ordered at all in a shell and case that were labeled with the correct title. I want to catch this stuff before my patrons send it back to me and tell me about it. Even PBS and Weston Woods goof every now and then.

One of the libraries we work with uses volunteers to view and check both their new materials and things that are reported as having problems. This is done in the library under staff oversight, of course. They have established a standard form for the viewers to complete that gives the staff the information they need to complete processing or withdrawing the items. That seems to work for them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lori Stevens <STEVENLO@uvsc.edu>
Sent: Apr 4, 2005 9:26 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Hi John,

We don't preview either. I have vendors that I know consistently turn
out a good product, or I read a lot of reviews and I don't worry about
it. If there is something specific I am looking for I will request a
preview BEFORE I buy it, I also do a ton of previewing at National Media
Market. I agree with your dean. It seems a little redundant.

Lori

Lori Stevens
Media Librarian
Utah Valley State College Library
Orem, Utah 84058

Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students
and they check out books. And then they learn things."

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 1997)

>>> John.Streepy@cwu.edu 04/01/05 10:09 AM >>>
Hello all,
just a quick question for this happy Friday: Who in your library
previews your videos (meaning quaily control after you have purchased,
not evailuate for possible purchase)? Here it has been tradionally
done
by our Media Circulation department, but our dean just informed my
boss
that he does not want us previewing materials any more. I, in the
hope
of providing a convincing argument against this new policy, would like
to get a handle on how other libraries do what I think is a necessary
part of our job
thanks
jhs.

John H. Streepy