RE: [Videolib] Previewing videos

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.edu)
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:16:25 -0800

I would never take that the wrong way. I would love to have that
problem. Our collection increases by 2-3 % (so about 100 titles, not
including donations which we just give cursory viewing to) so we are not
talking a lot of time. If we paid for a $500 documentary, I want to
make sure it is what we wanted before it gets cataloged. I also find
that by screening the material we have a better handle on the collection
and can help patrons find materials. We have a closed stack system so
patrons can't browse, all they have is the catalog and us.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

>>> bltata@aurora.lib.il.us 04/01/05 11:18 AM >>>
Don't take this in the wrong way, but who has time? Or the money to
pay
staff to do this? We can't keep up with processing and cataloging as
it
is - if I told our Tech Services area that I wanted them to preview
everything to make sure it worked, I'd be run out of town on a rail.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street