[Videolib] RE: Previewing videos

Marynelle Chew (Chewm@byuh.edu)
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:12:33 -1000

The person cataloging them preivews the first 5-10 minutes for quality
control, making sure the format is the one for North America, etc. And
for making sure the title information and all that good stuff is correct
as well. We don't watch the whole thing, though, unless it's original
cataloging.

Our Media department has a machine that checks for physical defects.
They don't run the check before the material goes out the first time,
but they do have a schedule for maintenance.

Marynelle Chew
Joseph F. Smith Library
Brigham Young University-Hawaii
Laie, HI

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John
Streepy
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:09 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Hello all,
just a quick question for this happy Friday: Who in your library
previews your videos (meaning quaily control after you have purchased,
not evailuate for possible purchase)? Here it has been tradionally
done
by our Media Circulation department, but our dean just informed my
boss
that he does not want us previewing materials any more. I, in the
hope
of providing a convincing argument against this new policy, would like
to get a handle on how other libraries do what I think is a necessary
part of our job thanks jhs.

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation