RE: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Mulcaster,Kay (kaym@nait.ca)
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:00:23 -0700

Our library is in a post-secondary technical institute. We involve our instructors directly in the development of our AV collection by asking them to preview any titles before we purchase. If they assess positively because it is useful for a course they are teaching, we buy it. The preview material is brought in based on information we find and send to programs or is initiated by the program areas themselves who have found information on media they are interested in previewing.

It is a very labour intensive process but ensures that our AV money is spent only on material that is deemed relevent and useful as an instructional aid.

Kay Mulcaster
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Library Lending Services
P: 780 -471 -8794 F: 780 -471 -8813
kaym@nait.ab.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of John Streepy
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 10:09 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Hello all,
just a quick question for this happy Friday: Who in your library
previews your videos (meaning quaily control after you have purchased,
not evailuate for possible purchase)? Here it has been tradionally done
by our Media Circulation department, but our dean just informed my boss
that he does not want us previewing materials any more. I, in the hope
of providing a convincing argument against this new policy, would like
to get a handle on how other libraries do what I think is a necessary
part of our job
thanks
jhs.

John H. Streepy