RE: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:18:43 -0600

Don't take this in the wrong way, but who has time? Or the money to pay
staff to do this? We can't keep up with processing and cataloging as it
is - if I told our Tech Services area that I wanted them to preview
everything to make sure it worked, I'd be run out of town on a rail.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
Phone: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
bltata@aurora.lib.il.us
www.aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John Streepy
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:09 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Previewing videos

Hello all,
just a quick question for this happy Friday: Who in your library
previews your videos (meaning quaily control after you have purchased,
not evailuate for possible purchase)? Here it has been tradionally done
by our Media Circulation department, but our dean just informed my boss
that he does not want us previewing materials any more. I, in the hope
of providing a convincing argument against this new policy, would like
to get a handle on how other libraries do what I think is a necessary
part of our job thanks jhs.

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation