RE: [Videolib] video replacement policies

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:08:03 -0500

Hi Jim Scholtz here. I'm a director from a small public library but have
worked in a college library as well. Like Gary H., I'm wondering why you
are concerned with developing a pro forma policy related to replacement and
circulation. First, circulation is not a 1:1 ratio with use. A video/DVD
is often used more than once per circulation; in studies in one library I
worked at adult video use ration per circ was 3:1 while children's videos
averaged 6:1. I would sooner see a policy related to physical/electronic
assessment of damage and using various machines to clean/repair those
videos/DVDs after assessment (by library staff, ater each use, using a
standard assessment form, as well as a tie-in to a damage fine policy - ex.
repair after a disc is returned is $2.00; if it can be repaired, otherwise
charge them the cost of the item). My big concern with DVD formats is their
short life-span due to improper handling (getting the discs out of the cases
w/o cracking), improper playing in cheap machines (Walmart $49 machines cut
grooves in the discs after 1 play), and general mis-handling/daily handling.
I'd recommend that you purchase some type of DVD/CD repair machine and an
electronic assessment machine. Many of our videos and DVDs are going strong
afer 300+ circulations, while others must be discarded after only a few
circulations. There is no standard life for any media type - VHS or DVD
and, personally, I like VHS much better for its' ease of cleaning/repair.
Just thoughts to assist your decision.

Jim Scholtz, Library Director
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.