RE: [Videolib] Movie Title Search

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:06:50 -0500

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica
Rosner
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 2:51 PM
To: videolib
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Movie Title Search
=09

I have a patron who is writing an article about a local
man, who was held as a POW in World War II. He is looking for a
particular movie based (perhaps loosely) on some of the experiences of
these POWs that he saw on cable some years ago. It was about the crew
of a B-52 being held by the Japanese in the last weeks of the war. He
remembers there being scenes of mock trials, but can't remember much
else. He thought Sam Waterston was in the cast, but a check of his
filmography doesn't lead us to anything that sounds right. The film
would have been made in the mid-1980s or before. Does anyone have any
ideas?
=09
Thanks
=09
=20
Chuck Collins
Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library
(216) 932-3600
www.heightslibrary.org <http://www.heightslibrary.org>
<http://www.heightslibrary.org> =20
=09

=09
=09

=09
=09

=09
This one has me stumped but if he is interested in the general
subject he could look
At THE PURPLE HEART. It was made in 1944 but that is pretty
much the plot.
I think it was out on VHS at one point. A bit jingoistic but a
very good film
=09
Jessica
=09
=09
Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880
=09

------_=_NextPart_001_01C533DA.0F8940C2

Message

Chuck:
    During WWII, the Boeing B-29 that dropped = the atomic=20 bombs on Japan in 45 had already been replaced by the Boeing B-50, so I = don't=20 think your patron is correct about the plane(B-52) or the crew. The only = film I=20 can think of that comes close (though remotely) is "To End All=20 Wars," (2001) a POW story about the cruelties of a Japanese POW camp = during this=20 time period. There is one American in the film, Kiefer=20 Sutherland.

LaRoi=20 Lawton
Assistant Professor
Bronx=20 Community College/CUNY
Library & Learning Resources Dept.