RE: [Videolib] Compact discs

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:44:51 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C52E46.10BC2000

Becky,
What categories do you have?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 5:56 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Compact discs

Not quite video :), but we are having discussions about eliminating the
ANSCR system for our sound recordings. We have had it almost 20 years, and
apparently many staff people really hate it. So, we are starting to look at
what to do. Dewey, or LC, or any other number system is not considered, if
for no other reason that the numbers change so often, that you can have 1
type of music in 5 different places. No, thank you to that! We are looking
at broad categories. If you have a large collection - and I'm talking over
12,000 items in our Adult Services Collection alone, what do you do? What
categories do you use to make it really easy for your patrons to browse a
smaller section of the collection? As you might guess, a couple of us who
work a lot with the sound recordings don't want to give up ANSCR, but we are
grossly outnumbered. Any help is appreciated. You can e-mail me directly.
Thanks!

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library