RE: [Videolib] Security system - your input, please RFID

Melissa Riley (mriley@sfpl.org)
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:54:11 -0800

Having talked to many vendors and seen demos over several years, as far as I can tell RFID does not really work for any DVDs or CDs, especially for the security. Who knows if it ever will? At a cost of 40 to 70 cents per book chip (I do not know the media chip costs)--and more when special packaging is involved--plus many other costs and very labor intensive (installation -- might we not want to wait and see? Recent reports indicate that the installation is very labor intensive and seems to put staff at risk of RSI.

Below are a few considerations I wrote about last fall (including concerns not especially related to media--so I changed the order).
Some vendors have come up with additional security measures which are not perfected (like a sort of bolt that falls out of the case).
In addition, small thin items tend to jam the system or not get checked out at all--leading to theft. Special cases devised by the vendor to solve various problems may not work in your display system, and certainly do not work well for multi-item titles. Any chip glued to the surface of a CD or DVD may damage it in the short or long run, may lead a thief to try to remove it (thus causing damage), and will prevent scratches from being polished out.

Technical staff and those worried about RSI (myself included) are often said to be in favor of the ergonomics of RFID--but does anyone have any figures? Anecdote says that some of the worst RSI problems have cheaper solutions--like lowering the circ desk height and width and other design improvements, ergonomic training and feedback, getting patrons to place their own books appropriately and pick them up again.

.