RE: [Videolib] On the next episode of COPS: Illegal Copies?

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:47:34 -0500

This is indeed sad, but I would still address your earlier concerns to
your chief and appropriate
entities on your campus. Things do have a way of coming "full circle."

LaRoi Lawton
Bronx CC

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Threatt,
Monique L
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 10:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] On the next episode of COPS: Illegal Copies?

Hello everyone,

You will not believe this!

Remember my post about the faculty member who was overheard talking
about making illegal copies for his personal collection? Well,
yesterday, Media received a call from the police department.
Apparently, the police were in the throes of serving this person a
warrant for stolen items when they also came across our labeled DVDs.
Anyway, the IUPD believes the guy was copying the DVDs and selling them
on EBAY. Our media coordinator had to go identify the movies and
retrieve them. The police took pictures for evidence.

Out of the 30 titles (which were overdue), we were able to recuperate
28. Wow, talk about justice served! We later learned that this faculty
member had been arrested and released for prescription drug abuse,
stolen equipment, and dismissed by his department a few months ago.
Jeez, I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness for this person who
apparently has spiraled out-of-control, resorted to illegal means to
make a living, and now will probably serve time in jail. A very sad
ending indeed.

Monique