RE: [Videolib] licence agreements for videos/DVDs

Jed Horovitz (
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:26:55 -0500

Without a full understanding Canadian Copyright law as it applies to
schools, I can only say, 'don't buy it if you don't like the deal and be
sure to tell the vendor'. Talk with other Canadian institutions and
'unionize', 'boycott' and 'lobby' or you will lose the rights you have. Jed

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Wayne Jones
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:55 AM
Subject: [Videolib] licence agreements for videos/DVDs

I am new to this VIDEOLIB list and our institution is fairly new to the
collecting in any big way of videos, DVD, and other media materials. We buy
all of our materials with public performance rights (generally, the faculty
want to show them in their classrooms), but lately we've noticed that the
vendors are also asking us to sign licence agreements as well, in which they
place other restrictions on our use and disposition of the video -- for
example, that we can't give it away to another institution or individual, or
that we can't even destroy it even though we do own the physical item. I've
explained to one of them that it is unlikely we'd be doing either, and that
in any case if we gave a video away it would be with the understanding that
copyright would apply and PPR would not transfer, and that if we destroyed
it there would be nothing anybody could appropriate anyway.

I'm wondering whether this is a fairly common agreement which you just go
ahead and sign routinely, or whether you've considered it unnecessary and
inappropriate restrictions on your institution's use/disposition of
materials which it owns.

Many thanks for any advice.

Wayne Jones


Wayne Jones
Head, Central Technical Services
Queen's University Library
Mackintosh-Corry Hall, Room B100A
Kingston, ON
K7L 5C4
tel: (613) 533-2802
fax: (613) 533-6819

Videolib mailing list

Videolib mailing list