RE: [Videolib] Illegal copies? Need Advice

Sarah Johnson (SarahJohnson@polk.edu)
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:51:38 -0500

Gary,
How little is the "schtick" and is it shareable? We have some woefully
ignorant faculty members I would like to educate at our Tech Institute
this summer. What else is covered in the Technology Symposium?

Sarah Johnson
Polk Community College

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:25 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Illegal copies? Need Advice

I think Lori has an excellent (and vital) point here (something I didn't

think to say in my earlier rush to spout off): In all things
policy-related and faculty-related (particularly faculty
problem-related),
it's absolutely imperative to get administrative buy-in and avoid
surprises. As Lori's case also points out: it's best to get the
support
and to do the administrative education before the crisis hits.

It's useful (if possible) to take a lead on campus in pro-active
instruction re issues related to copyright. Each summer I've been
invited
to give my little copyright and fair use schtick at a well-attended
Faculty
Technology Symposium; I've similarly been working with campus involved
in a
big Mellon Grant on campus re issues of copyright. Any forum on campus
in
which you can get your 2 cents in is good.

Gary