RE: [Videolib] Illegal copies? Need Advice

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:24:32 -0800

I think Lori has an excellent (and vital) point here (something I didn't
think to say in my earlier rush to spout off): In all things
policy-related and faculty-related (particularly faculty problem-related),
it's absolutely imperative to get administrative buy-in and avoid
surprises. As Lori's case also points out: it's best to get the support
and to do the administrative education before the crisis hits.

It's useful (if possible) to take a lead on campus in pro-active
instruction re issues related to copyright. Each summer I've been invited
to give my little copyright and fair use schtick at a well-attended Faculty
Technology Symposium; I've similarly been working with campus involved in a
big Mellon Grant on campus re issues of copyright. Any forum on campus in
which you can get your 2 cents in is good.

Gary

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan