RE: [Videolib] Illegal copies? Need Advice

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:34:31 -0500

If you have a contact with your legal department, (and even if you
don't) you should set up a meeting with them to explore this and other
issues. You should first speak with your Chief to get their take on this
situation and for any further advice on how to proceed. Several years
ago I had a senior faculty member do exactly what you have described. I
spoke with my Chief, whose concept of copyright issues at that point in
time was limited. Once I explained the situation and illustrated with
examples of copyright violation to him, the faculty member was asked in
for a meeting. Once the issues concerned were explained to him in this
forum, he stopped. We were prepared to go to the Chair of his department
as well as our campus legal counsel. This approach not only gave him an
education but he was able to pass the word around to the other culprits
(across the curriculum) who did not care about copyright law and were
copying away at their leisure or its impact on educational institutions
we now see today.

LaRoi Lawton
Assistant Professor/Director
The Gerald S. Lieblich Learning Resources Center
Library & Learning Resources Department
Bronx Community College
University Ave. & W. 181 Street
Bronx, New York 10453