Re: [Videolib] Illegal copies? Need Advice

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:08:12 -0800

If he admits that he is making copies, is it my job to tell him to stop?
Or, remind him that the teaching and research collection is for
classroom instruction only?

Absolutely! It's not a matter of use for classroom instruction only: this
person is out and out infringing copyright law and if you are lending
materials knowing that this is going on, you might be liable yourself.

If he/she continues, contact the Dean of his/her department.

I'd contact your legal dept to see what kind of foolishness (if any)
they're spreading.

Than: get your graphics people to make the biggest and most lurid sign
possible stating what your facility's copyright policies are and post it in
a prominent place. Without informing users of policies, it's difficult to
hold them responsible for infringement of them. (even tho it should be
pretty obvious that ripping off copyrighted material is simply not ok)

Gary

At 10:02 AM 3/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I believe this situation may have come up before. I need your advice.
>
>Recently, a work-study student overheard a faculty member say that he
>was making copies of videos from our media teaching and research
>collection for his own personal use. He also remarked that he had
>checked with our legal department and they told him it was okay for him
>to do so. Our circ records show that this faculty member has checked out
>30 videos in the past month--all contemporary and popular titles, like
>The Sopranos, and the LoTR trilogy.
>
>Because I was not an eyewitness to this event, this is hearsay.
>However, we trust our work-study students enough to believe that they
>are telling the truth.
>
>We don't label our videos, nor do we remind people not to make copies of
>our videos. We would hope that our faculty would do the right thing and
>not make illegal copies.
>
>My question to you, or feel free to provide your own comments:
>
>Do I confront the faculty member and ask him if he is making illegal
>copies for his personal collection?
>
>Should I call our legal department and try to find out who told this
>person that it was okay to make copies?
>
>If he admits that he is making copies, is it my job to tell him to stop?
>Or, remind him that the teaching and research collection is for
>classroom instruction only?
>
>How would you handle the situation?
>
>Thanks,
>Monique Threatt