Re: [Videolib] books, courses for new video librarians

Meghann R Matwichuk (mtwchk@UDel.Edu)
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:19:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi Teresa,

Are you looking for books/courses on media librarianship, or film

A recommendation re: media librarianship:

* Video Collection Development in Multi-type Libraries : A
Handbook--Second Edition (Libraries Unlimited Library Management
Collection) by Gary Handman (Editor)

My two standbys when it comes to film studies are:

* The Oxford History of World Cinema by Geoffrey Nowell-Smith (Editor)

Due for an update, but a great text for bringing yourself up to speed on a
particular national cinema / genre / movement.

* The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World
Cinema in a Single Volume (Film Encyclopedia, 4th ed)
by Ephraim Katz, Fred Klein, Ronald Dean Nolen

A great tool for ready reference / filmographies / etc. Also, lots of fun
to browse.

Good luck!

Meghann R. Matwichuk
Instructional Media Department