RE: [Videolib] Missing av, new and on reserve

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:20:36 -0800

----=_NextPart_ST_12_21_05_Monday_February_28_2005_3467

Unfortunately, internal thievery is a likely culprit, as it has been here
for quite awhile. While all the circ managers "know" who's doing it, they
have been unwilling (understandably?) to pursue any course due to the
possibility of retributive legal action against the library. Without direct
eyewitnessing, it's highly unlikely that anything will happen. Without
implementing a draconian and possibly illegal search policy of all employees
as they exit the building, I don't think anything can be done . . .
Bryan Griest
Glendale Public Library
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Tatar, Becky
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 11:02 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Missing av, new and on reserve

Hello, all! We have a situation with our AV that is continuing to stump us.
It is a twofold problem of items that go missing. New av is sent to us from
our off site TSD. Somehow, between there and here, items go missing. When
they arrive here, labels are attached for videos, dvds and cds - genre
labels for feature films for both video formats, as well as date dots to let
people know what is new. Only a couple people work on this, and open boxes
of new av are not kept around. When they are opened, they are processed.
Other than me going to TSD and personally picking up the boxes of new items,
and checking the list twice there, and then bringing it to our main library,
I'm not sure what to do. I hate to think that we have internal theives.
We also have problems with items going missing from our hold shelf, or in
transit from one branch to another when on reserve. Is this problem of
items going missing when out of the public reach unique to us, or is this
something that others experience. And if it is, how do you take care of it?
You can answer directly to me. Thanks in advance

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street