Re: [Videolib] Chanel One

Thomas Ipri (ipri@lasalle.edu)
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:39:49 -0500

--=_alternative 004FE99C85256FB3_=

Channel One (http://www.channelone.com/) provides TV equipment to schools.
In exchange, the schools are obligated to show Channel One's news
programs--along with advertisements--to students every morning. The issue
we as educators should be more concerned about is not what kind of ads the
students are subjected to each day but whether or not the trade of is
beneficial to the students. As librarians, we should be concerned that
educators are not deciding what materials are available to students. Are
we comfortable that an outside for-profit company
(http://www.primedia.com/), rather than teachers, is deciding what
information our children receive in school?

Tom
______________________
Thomas A. Ipri, MS
Media Services Librarian
Connelly Library
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141
215-951-1965
ipri@lasalle.edu
http://www.lasalle.edu/library

"My guess is about 300 years until computers are as good as, say, your
local reference library in doing search. But we can make slow and steady
progress, and maybe one day we'll get there."

Craig Silverstein, Google Director of Technology

Brigid Duffy <bduffy@sfsu.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
02/24/2005 04:09 PM
Please respond to
videolib@library.berkeley.edu

videolib@library.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] Military Ads on Chanel One

Working at a university, I also am confused. What does Channel One show?

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Thursday, February 24, 2005, at 11:29 AM, Eileen Karsten wrote:

> I am a little confused. I thought one of the criticisms of Channel
> One when it started was that it was going to include commercials.
> What makes military ads a problem? The different branches of military
> visit the high schools regularly. Their recruitment posters are
> hanging in the halls. Students receive brochures from them in the
> mail. They have commercials on commercial and cable television.
>
> Eileen Karsten
> Lake Forest College
> 555 N. Sheridan Road
> Lake Forest, IL 60045

--=_alternative 004FE99C85256FB3_=

provides TV equipment to schools. &nbsp;In exchange, the schools are obligated
to show Channel One's news programs--along with advertisements--to students
every morning. &nbsp;The issue we as educators should be more concerned
about is not what kind of ads the students are subjected to each day but
whether or not the trade of is beneficial to the students. &nbsp;As librarians,
we should be concerned that educators are not deciding what materials are
available to students. &nbsp;Are we comfortable that an outside for-profit
company (http://www.primedia.com/), rather than teachers, is deciding what
information our children receive in school? &nbsp;</font>
Thomas A. Ipri, MS<br>
Media Services Librarian<br>
Connelly Library<br>
1900 West Olney Avenue<br>
Philadelphia, PA 19141<br>
215-951-1965<br>
ipri@lasalle.edu<br>
http://www.lasalle.edu/library<br>
&quot;My guess is about 300 years until computers are as good as, say,
your local reference library in doing search. &nbsp;But we can make slow
and steady progress, and maybe one day we'll get there.&quot; <br>
Craig Silverstein, Google Director of Technology </font>
One</font></table>
does Channel One show?<br>
Brigid Duffy<br>
Audio Visual/ITV Center<br>
San Francisco State University<br>
San Francisco CA &nbsp;94132-4200<br>
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu<br>
On Thursday, February 24, 2005, at 11:29 &nbsp;AM, Eileen Karsten wrote:<br>
&gt; I am a little confused. &nbsp;I thought one of the criticisms of Channel
&gt; One when it started was that it was going to include commercials.
&nbsp;<br>
&gt; What makes military ads a problem? &nbsp;The different branches of
military <br>
&gt; visit the high schools regularly. &nbsp;Their recruitment posters
are <br>
&gt; hanging in the halls. Students receive brochures from them in the
&gt; mail. &nbsp;They have commercials on commercial and cable television.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Eileen Karsten<br>
&gt; Lake Forest College<br>
&gt; 555 N. Sheridan Road<br>