RE: [Videolib] Military Ads on Chanel One

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:13:35 -0800

I didn't miss anything; I'm simply saddened by your seeming lack of a larger
perspective. Patriotism is fine, but taken to the extreme (which you
apparently feel is a good thing), it almost invariably leads to cultural
destruction. The reason this has been (was?) a "great country" is because
the patriotism of the vast majority of our citizens has been tempered both
by an increasing level of tolerance for other cultures and ideals and also
by a refusal to knowingly engage in overt acts of violence in the service of
ideology, at least for the last quarter century or so, and maybe since long
before that. (I would qualify that by stressing that our leaders have not
always followed the same guidelines of behavior.) Assuming our way is right,
and insisting that all other countries should bow down before us because of
that is both historically ignorant, culturally insensitive and provocative,
and just plain dangerous. Given the extraordinarily precarious state of our
economy, the last thing the US needs to do is act as if we are God's chosen
country, because the retribution we engender by doing so will be terrible to
behold.
Bryan Griest
Glendale Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Mark W. Kopp
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 1:33 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Military Ads on Chanel One

Apparently, you missed the "jingoistic" point of my comment.
Being the good "fanatically patriotic" (jingoistic, as defined by
whatever dictionary you wish to use or this one
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jingoistic ),
I'll explain that if it wasn't for our military, we'd all be speaking
German, or any other of a number of languages of countries who would
have had no qualms in conquering this great land if it was not
defended....paraphrased from the popular bumper sticker:
"If you can read this, thank a teacher...if it's in English, thank a
Soldier"

And by the way, Brian...I am VERY patriotic, and am NEVER embarrassed by
that. I believe in the United States of America...if that is
"jingoistic", then I need a freakin Tee Shirt that says so.
Heyyyyyy...being the Capitalistic state that it is, I could make some
cash on that too!!

Don't go stealing my idea now...

Mark