RE: [Videolib] Military Ads on Chanel One

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:22:28 -0800

I know this whole thread is off-topic, and I hope we can restrain ourselves
in the future from waxing political. I do want to add that it is hurtful for
me to see that anyone with a modicum of intelligence (as we have all seemed
to be) would be so full of "faith" as to ask the rest of us to disregard our
training and professionalism in discerning what is factual from what is not.
Aren't all the librarians in this group in agreement that we are supposed
to, in part, help people discover the facts of any particular subject? Does
it not follow that if something is proven to be so, we can, and maybe even
have the duty to, point our patrons (and anyone else) to those facts? Our
national presses have stopped "digging for the truth", turning instead to
providing useless "he said/she said" (forgive the sexism inherent in that
cliche, ok?) articles, accentuating the public's ignorance rather than
helping to eliminate it. Should we fall blindly in line as well?
Mark's jingoistic crack about the language a declining majority of our
nation speaks is wholly out of place in this forum also, I would think.
Bryan Griest
Glendale Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Mark W. Kopp
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:10 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Military Ads on Chanel One

"....And there is no shame in being against the current U.S.
administration and its misguided wars either--they are not being fought
for
my opinions or your opinions or for any reasonable concept of freedom or

justice....."

Then certainly, there's no shame in SUPPORT of our current
administration and the proud tradition of service to our country in the
United States Military.

We will never all agree on what is misguided, and what is fact. We can
exchange all day long, with profound abilities learned from a cadre of
Educators that we owe a debt of gratitude. I'm just happy and thankful
to the military that it's in ENGLISH!

Mark