RE: [Videolib] Movie Licensing USA vs MPLC

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:07:00 -0600

Good points. We use Movie Licensing USA. They have a website where you can
plug in the title and it checks against a master list to determine if it is
included in the PPR package. Very fast and very easy. Of course you're not
going to get any Fox titles...

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library
314.206.6704

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jessica
Rosner
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:24 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Movie Licensing USA vs MPLC

The second issue is much more interesting but nothing to do with your
specific needs. These companies sell "blanket" licenses which as I
understand do not require you to report which films you actually show
which means that no monies are actually reported to SPECIFIC titles. They
basically pay each studio based on the perceived popularity of their titles
but by NOT keeping track of what is shown they( the studios) NEVER have to
pay any ROYALTIES to anyone involved in a specific film you may show. Kino
could NEVER participate in such an arrangement as we are obliged legally and
morally to split royalties on any public showings of our films. The majority
of our contracts call for 50/50 splits in all film rentals which is the same
as public video showing

Anyone on this list friendly with people at DGA,SAG or the WGA ? because
their
members are getting ripped off

Jessica