RE: [Videolib] PPR...again...still...arrgh

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:49:31 -0500

It wasn't PBS...it was Films for Humanities.

When I contacted my rep at PBS, he couldn't sell it to me..had to buy
from Films for Humanities (www.films.com)

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica
Rosner
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:29 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] PPR...again...still...arrgh

I find it especially disturbing because it is PBS which frankly
despite
budget issues is not some small independent company and this is title
that is being widely hawked in the consumer market. I understand though
I don't agree when small companies which have a very limited number of
consumer orders try this. This is not a remotely gray area of copyright
law. The face to face exemption clearly makes any legal copy available
for standard classroom use. I am curious as to what they think an
institution might do with it that would require PPR rights. In any event
it is not worth the argument , just buy it as an individual and get
reimbursed. A pain in the neck but it saves $300

Jessica

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International