RE: [Videolib] film stills for publication

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:54:41 -0500

Here are the cites. While you are correct that one of the cases involved
bits from a trailer, the issue was not that the trailer was not registered,
but that it was a Fair Use and thus would have applied equally had the
material been lifted directly from the movie. In another (sad) case, in
SDNJ, the court actually ruled that the copyright protection in a movie
'devolves' to the trailer and thus you don't need to register trailers, but
that would not change the outcomes below. Jed

Hofheinz v. A&E Television Networks (S.D.N.Y. 2001),
The Court considered whether A&E's use of clips from a movie trailer for a
copyrighted film for a biography of actor Peter Graves was fair use. The
biography narrator introduced the movie clip as outdated and "campy". The
Court found that the biography was transformative because use of a movie
trailer clip for a "B" movie "was not shown to recreate the creative
expression reposing in plaintiff's film." Its purpose was to "enable the
viewer to understand the actor's modest beginnings in the film business."
http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/courtweb/pdf/D02NYSC/01-07249.PDF

Hofheinz v. AMC Productions (S.D.N.Y. 2001)
Plaintiff sued defendant for its use of excerpts one of her low budget
science fiction "alien" films in a 1997 program. Defendant used the clips
from the alien film in a documentary-style program that identified the
common themes and political contexts of alien visitation films. The clips
were used for the transformative purpose of enriching the commentary on the
'alien visitation genre' and did not constitute the heart of the copyrighted
work. Defendant's program was not a substitute for viewing the entirety of
the copyrighted film, nor did it capture its essence. Since defendant's
program was transformative, defendant's profit motive did not alter the
analysis of the first fair use factor. The balance of the fair use factors
were in defendant's favor and the Court found that defendant's use of
plaintiff's alien film constituted fair use.
http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/courtweb/pdf/D02NYSC/01-07249.PDF