RE: [Videolib] film stills for publication

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:28:09 -0500

As the (gasp) producer of "Rock and Roll High School Forever" and uncredited
writer of
"Slumber Party Massacre Part II" I can only say, 'It is about time somebody
did a book on this important genre.' Heh, I had to eat.

Seriously, I think the best think to do is contact the producers because
they will mostly be glad to provide stills.

If they can't be found, he should document that and try pulling images from
video. Sounds like a fair use to me.

Jed

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Glenda
Pearson
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:39 AM
To: Video Listserv
Subject: [Videolib] film stills for publication

Hi,
I hesitate to bring up yet another permissions/copyright/etc. question,
but what the heck.

I am trying to help an author figure out how to get permissions to use
stills as illustrations in his soon-to-be published book. He needs both
the stills themselves, and permission information. He is working with a
list of about 25 films, most of which are low budget, rock music horror
films, some not readily available. It looks to me like many of the
films he wants were produced in the 1980's. A few are available on video
or DVD so I am assuming that he needs to make the stills himself(?). Then
the question of permissions. Does anyone really have to give permission
to use "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare" for anything? I suppose so....

Some of the other titles:

BLACK ROSES
TERROR ON TOUR
TRICK OR TREAT
PAGANINI HORROR

etc. You get the picture. Again, I think his interest is in films from
the 1980's (some of these same titles were used 70 or 80 years earlier
for quite different sorts of films, to say the least).
I can get the entire list from him, with dates, or put him directly in
touch with one of you folks who might want to advise him.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Glenda Pearson
Cinema Studies Librarian
University of Washington Libraries