Re: [Videolib] Putting Eyeballs on Copyright Law

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:23:32 -0500

A few final notes on this. While it is great that the attention being
focused on EYES ON THE PRIZE will probably lead to enough funds being
available to clear the rights, most of the discussion on the problems in
copyright law re this, including the article below are well off base. The
problem with EYES was simple & straightforward, it had a lot of footage and
music which like many documentaries was cleared for a set number of years
for sale & broadcast and most of these were expired meaning they needed to
be relicensed. This is an expensive process but fairly run of the mill, even
studios have to do this with things like music, underlying literary rights
etc. While it meant an important film was no longer available for sale &
broadcast, it was not a case of the horrors of the copyright law which was
working as intended to protect the rights of owners whose material had been
licenses roughly 25 years ago. (You would THINK PBS for which this was a
seminal event could kick in some serious money to help out)
The MUCH bigger problems with copyright laws which have been discussed at
length here is the continual extension of its term, now up to 95 years and
the difficulties of applying & updating it to changing technologies such as
the internet & digital formats. I HOPE that the publicity being focused on
EYES might lead to some discussion of these issues but more likely once they
get the money to clear the material , the press & politicians will say the
system worked because it focused on the wrong problems with copyright law.

Jessica

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International